Thursday 27 September 2007

PATHETIC HUMANS CAN'T HANDLE FACEBOOK!

We interrupt this programme to bring you the text of an email from Fox News which has just arrived in my inbox, verbatim apart from the phone numbers, which I have redacted:

GREETINGS: BY WAY OF INTRODUCTION, MY NAME IS JACK SAVAGE---I AM A PRODUCER FOR THE FOX NEWS CHANNEL.

FOR A MORNING NEWS SEGMENT ON "FACEBOOK SUICIDE" COULD SOMEONE CALL ME BACK AT THE NUMBER BELOW?

JACK SAVAGE/ FOX NEWS NYC (xxx) xxx-xxxx (CELL PHONE (xxx) xxx-xxxx

WE WOULD LIKE TO DO A LIVE, ON-CAMERA INTERVIEW AROUND 1250 PM FRIDAY TOMORROW PM (5 MINUTE INTERVIEW) FROM OUR WESTMINSTER STUDIO IN LONDON.

IF NO ONE IS AVAILABLE TO APPEAR ON-CAMERA, IT'S POSSIBLE WE COULD DO A PHONE INTERVIEW, BUT WE WOULD PREFER ON-CAMERA.

IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU A-S-A-P----THANKS!

P.S. IF NEEDED, WE CAN PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE INTERVIEW LOCATION IN WESTMINSTER.

SINCERLY,

JACK SAVAGE


FOX NEWS CHANNEL


I can't think why, but I'm imagining Jack Savage as looking something like this chap on the left:



No?


UPDATE: I see that Fox News are now calling me a 'Web addict', for whom 'Facebook suicide' is the 'only way out'.

Here is the text of the email I sent to Jack Savage in reply to his interview request:

Hi Jack, many thanks for the invitation, but I would feel wrong about appearing on a segment about ‘Facebook suicide’, as I think that term is really far too emotive for what amounts to simply deciding to stop visiting a particular website.

As I explained to the journalist who wrote the original London Times article, I rejoined Facebook not long after I initially left it, but she chose to leave this information out of the final piece.

Kind regards,

Fiona

For the more rational and much less sensational (but much more accurate) version of this story, see this post.

6 comments:

James Henry said...

Pathetic humans! Morbo will destroy Facebook in the name of his tyrant overlord Murdoch THROUGH THE AWESOME POWER OF CAPS!

Unknown said...

News Corp. does seem to be going a bit suspiciously overboard on this 'Facebook suicide' business. I mean, I've deleted my blog on at least three occasions, I deleted my last.fm account when it was sold to CBS, and I've flounced out of numerous chat forums, but no one from the Times or Fox News wanted to interview me about any of that.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, welcome our new shallow and sensationalist media overlords.

No, wait, wrong meme... gah...

Tim F said...

Just tell them that you switched to MySpace instead, but quickly gave that up because it was full of Sun readers and similar drooling undesirables.

(Sky once did a list show of the 100 Biggest Mistakes of all time. They included the Hitler Diaries, but neglected to mention that it was the Sunday Times - prop. R. Murdoch - that made the balls-up.)

Sean McManus said...

At the risk of stating the obvious, Murdoch owns Facebook rival MySpace. Although it's only a rival terms of its technology - the social make-up of the networks is quite different.

ksamp3591 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.